Here is a sample list of potential dangers associated with returning to the area left by wildfire.
· Widow Makers – are burnt trees with little or no limbs that have limited structural support and may fall silently at any time.
· Easy Bake Ovens – burning root structures that leave the surrounding ground unstable and extremely hot. The roots can burn for days and are extremely dangerous. These areas may appear as “dinosaur footprints” and must be avoided at all times.
· Falling Limbs – may occur in any area where trees have been exposed to the fire!
· Electrical Hazards – Please be aware of fallen power lines (and other utility lines) and power poles affected by the fire. Some poles may be unstable. Treat all fallen lines with extreme caution. If you come across a utility line that may be activated, contact the necessary utility company.
· Structural Hazards – Some of the homes affected by the fire may have structural hazards, fall hazards, and potentially dangerous gas pockets. Avoid private properties at all times. Standing chimneys and walls may appear to be sound. Be aware the concrete in these structures may be fragile due to excessive heat that may collapse at any time.
· General Site Safety – Emergency response personnel may be active in many of the areas you are working. Please DO NOT block access to streets.
· Wild Animals – The fire may have affected wild animals in the area. If you spot a bear, cougar, or other animal in distress, please keep your distance and contact the conservation officer service.
The Okanagan has an incredibly skilled, organised and well thought out system of emergency responders that deserve MUCH credit for their hard work.
Patrick Murphy 250 486 2529
Always active on Twitter @pmurphy88
Always current on the blog www.youroklife.com
Often fun on Facebook
Forever grateful for kind referrals
Nobody in the World Sells More Real Estate than RE/MAX, and only Patrick Murphy offers the widest advertising coverage of Summerland properties across Western Canada and Northern BC into Alberta.
Call to sell, 250 486 2529
RE/MAX Orchard Country 10124 Main St Summerland